FOR PARENTS, FAMILIES, EDUCATORS, HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS, CHILD CARE PROVIDERS, ADVOCACY GROUPS…..
ROBERT MACNEIL REPORTS: AUTISM NOW, produced by MacNeil/Lehrer Productions, is a comprehensive look at autism, a developmental disorder that manifests itself during the first three years of life. The subject is one that resonates deeply with MacNeil’s own family; Robin’s grandson, Nick, has autism.
MacNeil and his producer Caren Zucker spent over a year researching and producing these reports. The result – a compelling six-part series designed to provide viewers with an authoritative, balanced look at the latest scientific research and medical thinking about the disorder. Equally important, it chronicles the growing impact of autism as seen through the eyes of families, children, educators and clinicians.
This DVD set also includes a new introduction by Robert MacNeil, a conversation on the making of the series and extended interviews with experts on autism.
Introduction by Robert MacNeil
- Part 1: Robert MacNeil Shares Grandson Nick’s Story
- Part 2: Prevalence
- Part 3: Causes
- Part 4: Treatment
- Part 5: Adults with Autism
- Part 6: Policy
The Making of the Series – A Conversation
Extended interviews with:
- Dr. David Amaral, Research Director of the MIND Institute at the University of California, Davis
- Dr. Timothy Buie, Associate in Pediatrics at Massachusetts General Hospital
- Dr. Gerald Fishbach, Science Director of Simons Foundation in New York
- Dr. Peter Gerhardt, Director of Adolescent Education at the McCarton School in New York City
- Dr. Richard Grinker, Professor of Anthropology at George Washington University
- Dr. Martha Herbert, Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School
- Dr. Irva Hertz-Piccotto, Chief of the Division of Environmental Health at the University of California, Davis
- Dr. Craig Newschaffer, Professor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at Drexel University
- Dr. Sally Rogers, Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the MIND Institute at the University of California, Davis
- Bridget Taylor, Director of the Alpine Learning Group in Alpine, New Jersey